Follow by Email

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Time to ride

So it's just about summer in Wisconsin...temps have been pushing 90 and the sun strong. More than anything else it means I can be on the bike as much as I want which is really great. My Kawasaki Concours 14 is fast, handles great and really pumps me up when I look at it. But in the back of my garage is a bike that has been getting quite a bit of attention from me, a 1979 Suzuki GS 850. All I have left to do is fit new throttle cables and brake lines--here soon from Barnett, a company that will make you custom cables when you need them.
Then some new brake pads, tires and I should be on the road. It will be half as fast as the Kaw, handle one third as well and be much less reliable. But I can't wait to ride it. Not only will it transport me to and from work each day, it will transport me back in time. Back to when one bike did everything, like this bike will.
It will have superbike bars, a cheap (really, right off eBay) 1/4 fairings and that's all the changes. But with that it will allow me to run it in the twisties much better than when it had the stock touring bars, do interstate cruising because it has great ergonomics, carry things on the big flat seat and turn heads because it is 31 years old...
I will post some pics when it's done...if I stop riding it