Follow by Email

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Factory customs?

I am really struggling with my feelings on new bikes. I don't want to come across as one of those guys that constantly say...in my day we did this and we did that to our bikes, but it's getting that way.
Harley and victory have a line of factory customs--dark bikes I think. Really, what is custom about lots of black paint--flat at that. When I was a kid, when I was a teen, when was in my 20s, 30s you did what you wanted to do to your bike to make it yours.
Are we becoming such an instant society that we need our motorcycles customized for us? My last Harley , a dyna fxdxt, started out as a blank canvas. I made it into what I thought a sport touring bike bike should be. Better brakes, better suspension, much more powerful engine and then....I took off the majority of the black trim and added chrome and cool paint. There was no way anyone mistook my bike for another fxdxt.
I guess I am just a rambling fool today, but where is that with today's motorcycles? You buy a bike and it is exactly what you want--even my new Kawasaki concours...it's perfect. The most I could do to make it more mine was upgrade the seat and windshield so Marcia would be more comfortable. It's fast, handles great, stops great and looks pretty good. I could see painting it in the future...but even that would be forced...
Anyway..I am just rambling...but I sure hope the industry doesn't specialize itself right out of anyone doing their own thing to a bike....